We have a few questions about mortgage payments. Our core is set up so that mortgage payments are applied in the following order:
- The monthly escrow is put into the escrow account.
- The remainder is applied to interest.
- If anything remains after interest is paid, it is put toward the principle.
Are we allowed to apply mortgage payments this way? Is there anything in regulation that dictates how to apply mortgage payments?
There is not a prohibition in doing that under the federal regulations. It would be up to the bank’s loan agreement regarding how payments are applied. As long as the bank’s loan agreement does not state otherwise, there should not be an issue with applying payments in that way.
Compliance Alliance offers a comprehensive suite of compliance management solutions. To learn how to put them to work for your bank, call (888) 353-3933 or email email@example.com. Compliance rules and regulations change quickly! For timely compliance updates, subscribe to Compliance Alliance’s email newsletters.
Not a member? Learn more about membership with Compliance Alliance by attending one of our live demos:
- Live demo on Tuesday, January 28th @ 10: 00 am CT.
- Live demo on Thursday , January 30th @ 1:00 pm CT.